Introduction to Internet check-in.
On this page:
- Step 1 Your details
- Step 2 Select your preferred seat
- Step 3 Print your boarding pass
- When is my flight available for Internet check-in?
Internet check-in is available from 30 hours up to 2 hours before your flight’s departure.
In certain cases, operational exigencies temporarily prevent us from opening the flight for Internet check-in. We apologize for the inconvenience and kindly request you to try again later or to check in at the airport.
For which flights is internet check-in available?
- All flights operated by KQ.
- All KQ flights operated by KLM, Air France, PW (from Nairobi only) .
Your booking confirmation provides information about which airline will be operating your flight.
What time should I arrive at the airport when I have used Internet check-in?
- When you are traveling with hold baggage: you are requested to complete your check-in at the baggage drop-off points at least 1 hour before your departure for domestic flights and at least 2 hours for Intercontinental flights.
- When you are traveling with hand baggage only: you are requested to be at your departure gate at the indicated boarding time noted on your boarding pass. If passenger is not present at the time of closure of boarding gate, Kenya Airways reserves the right to accept passengers on the flight. Please refer to our conditions of carriage.
Back to top
What is an e-ticket?
An e-ticket is an acronym for electronic ticket. It is a digital ticket that is stored in our reservation system, for which confirmation is granted electronically instead of by a printed ticket.
What is an e-ticket number?
An e-ticket number is a specific number, printed on your e-ticket confirmation. It mostly consists of 13 digits. In case of a 14-digits e-ticket number, please use the first 13 digits.
Where can I find my e-ticket number?
Your e-ticket number is printed on your e-ticket confirmation. It mostly consists of 13 digits. In case of a 14-digits e-ticket number, please use the first 13 digits. When you have booked your e-ticket with a travel agent and you did not receive an e-ticket number we kindly advise you to ask your travel agent for your e-ticket number. If you have reserved an e-ticket via a travel agent and you have not received an e-ticket number and/or booking number, we recommend that you contact your travel agent.
What is a booking code?
You receive a booking code once you have made a booking and it consists of 6 digits and/or letters. You can find this code on your booking confirmation. A booking code is also known as a confirmation code or reservation number.
What is a flight number?
A flight number is the number of a booked flight. This number can be found on your (e)-ticket confirmation and consists of two letters and three numbers (e.g. KQ 102).
When can I not use Internet check-in?
- You have a group reservation of 10 or more persons.
- When traveling with hold baggage exceeding weight limits.
- When traveling with an infant (younger than 2 years).
- Unaccompanied minors: a child aged 5 through 14 who is not accompanied by a person aged 15 or older in the same booking.
- Passengers who have chosen for assistance and are not accompanied by a person aged 15 or older in the same booking.
- Passengers who are physically challenged.
- Your airport of departure does not have Internet check-in facilities. List of airports with Internet check-in facilities
In these situations, you are kindly requested to check in at the airport.
Back to top
Where can I leave my baggage at the airport?
- If you are traveling with hand baggage only and have printed your boarding pass by means of Internet check-in, you can proceed directly to the gate.
- If you are traveling with hold baggage and you have printed your boarding pass by means of Internet check-in, you can proceed to the baggage drop-off points. These marked clearly as “Baggage drop off points” and are located
I only carry hand baggage; what should I do?
If you are traveling with hand baggage only and you have printed your boarding pass by means of Internet check-in, you can proceed directly to the gate. Please be at your departure gate at the indicated boarding time noted on your boarding pass. If passenger is not present at the time of closure of boarding gate, Kenya Airways reserves the right to accept passengers on the flight. Please refer to our conditions of carriage.
Back to top
Step 1 Your details
At step 1 your flight details are shown and passenger information should be filled in. If you are traveling to the USA, you will also need to provide your passport and destination details, which are required by immigration.
What does the class code mean?
The different class codes have the following meaning:
- M-class code on all flights: Economy Class
- C-class code on European flights: Europe Select Class
- C-class code on intercontinental flights: World Business Class
Can I also check in for my return flight?
If your reservation includes a return flight within 24 hours from the departure time of your first flight, you are offered the opportunity to check in for your return flight as well.
Can I also check in a fellow traveler?
You can check in via the Internet and check in either a fellow traveler who booked at the same time or someone who booked separately and has a different booking code.
What is a frequent flyer number?
A frequent flyer number is a loyalty membership number. You can check your number on your Miles statement. When you have questions you are kindly requested to contact your own frequent flyer company. It is also possible to claim your frequent flyer Miles afterwards. Claim your Miles afterwards.
Where can I find my frequent flyer number?
You can check your frequent flyer number on your Miles statement. In case of questions you are kindly requested to contact your own frequent flyer company.
For whom is assistance available?
Kenya Airways offers special facilities and assistance for passengers with limited mobility to ensure a safe and pleasant journey.
Why do I need to fill in extra passenger information when traveling to the United States?
As of October 24, 2005, USA legislation requires that airlines collect more personal details on passengers traveling to the USA.
When are you defined as a resident of the United States?
An individual is a resident of the US when he/she has been granted lawful permanent residence in the United States
What is a Permanent Resident Card?
A United States Permanent Resident Card, also known popularly as a Green Card, is an identification card for a permanent resident of the United States of America who does not have U.S. citizenship. It is proof that the holder has permission to permanently reside and take employment in the U.S. Its "former" official title was Alien Registration Receipt Card, and it is now officially called a Permanent Resident Card, also referred to as Form I-551.
What is the difference between a Permanent Resident Card and an Alien Resident Card?
There is no difference. The Alien Resident Card is since 1997 officially called a Permanent Resident Card, also referred to as Form I-551.
Why do I need to confirm that “all passengers above are in the possession of a valid passport and the visa needed for the destination of the group”?
For legal reasons you should be in the possession of a valid passport or visa needed for your destination. Therefore when you check in for one or more travel companions, you should also confirm that they possess valid passports and visa needed for their destination.
Back to top
Step 2 Select your preferred seat
At step 2 you are able to select a seat for yourself and your travel companions.
How does it work?
You can change seats for yourself and your travel companions during Internet check-in by using the "Change" function on the “select preferred seat” screen. If you have already selected your seat at the time of reservation, you can check or change your seat if preferred. Seats are available according to the seat map showed. As long as you are on the “select preferred seat” screen you are able to change your seat.
Can I change my seat after I confirmed my preferred seat selection?
As long as you are in the “select preferred seat” screen, you are able to change your seat. When you have entered step 3 your selected seat is final.
I have problems finding available seats. What should I do?
The availability of seats differs per flight, aircraft type, destination, flight date and carrier. There are occasional instances in which operational exigencies do not show available seats on Internet check-in. We apologize for the inconvenience and we kindly request you to collect your seat number at the airport.
Back to top
Step 3 Print your boarding pass
At step 3 you are able to print your travel documents. The kind of documents offered to print depends on the facilities of your airport of departure.
What kind of travel documents can I print?
Depending on your airport of departure you can print several documents.
List of airports with Internet check-in facilities
- Boarding pass: this printed document is your boarding pass. Please bring along this document to the airport. Some airports do not allow printing this document at home. In that case you are kindly requested to collect your boarding pass at the airport.
- Confirmation document: this document shows a confirmation of your Internet check-in process and is offered when you are not allowed to print your boarding pass. You are kindly requested to collect your boarding pass at the airport.
- Trip Summary: this document shows details of your booked journey. This document is not mandatory but you are requested to retain the printed copy for presentation at the airports that may require it.
When is it not possible to print my boarding pass?
Internet check-in is available at the majority of airports; however, due to immigration, security or airport restrictions some airports do not have this facility.
If due to unavoidable circumstances you were not able to print out your own boarding pass or you forgot it, please note the following times:
Domestic flights: Contact the check-in counter up to 40 minutes before departure.
Intercontinental flights: Contact the check-in counter up to 60 minutes before departure.
I have problems printing my boarding pass. What should I do?
When you have entered step 3, your check-in process is final. In order to receive your boarding pass, we kindly request you either email it to a desired email address and print it at your convenience or collect your boarding pass from the check in counters found at the airport.
Why do I also receive a boarding pass of my travel companion if I did not check him in?
When you checked in your travel companion, you are kindly requested to print his/her travel documents. When you are traveling with a travel companion, and he/she has already checked in, you are also offered the travel documents of your travel companion.
Back to top