In today’s modern world, carriage of live animals by air is considered the most humane and expedite method of transportation over long distances. KQ live is our safe and caring service for transportation of animals.
Our service is more than just an animal transportation service because we offer you the following:
- Continuous care for the animal before, during and after flights by specially trained staff.
- Availability on all online KQ destinations.
- Transportation of live animals in optimum conditions of safety, comfort and hygiene.
- We transport live animals and both accompanied and unaccompanied pets.
- Late Cut-off times for acceptance i.e. 3hours before scheduled time of departure.*
- High up-lift priority onto the flight if booking is confirmed.
- Dedicated sales and customer service team to attend to your queries.
- Information about the movement of your animal shipment will be available to you via our track and trace system that is on our website after flight departure.
Animals will only be accepted for carriage if they are carried in closed containers and the container must:
- Be well constructed and able to withstand freight damage.
- Be rigid enough to prevent the animal from escaping through gaps at the seams or joints.
- Be adequately ventilated on at least 3 sides with most ventilation being provided on the upper part of the container.
- Have maximum dimensions of L240cm x W114cm x H76cm to be loaded on a B737 aircraft with a maximum weight of 150kg. Please contact you local KQ Cargo office for information on acceptable dimensions for wide-body aircraft.
The container must have the following markings:
- The full name, address and 24hr telephone contact of the shipper.
- The scientific and common name of the animal(s) in the container, as shown on the shipper’s certificate.
- The number of animal(s) in the container.
- Containers holding animals that bite must be marked “THIS ANIMAL BITES”
- Shipper’s instruction for feeding and watering.
- Any details of medication administered prior to shipping.
Required Animal Travel Documents
The shipper is required to provide the following documents:
Import and Export Permits.
Valid Health Certificate and Vaccination Certificate which must be attached to the air waybill (AWB). If the passenger is not in possession of these documents, transportation of the pet shall be refused.
- Ensure you make your booking as early as possible. At the very latest, 12hours before scheduled time of flight departure.
- Please provide separate food and water receptacles, either inside the container or attached to it with a means of access so that they can be filled or replenished when required. They must have rounded edges and be made of non-toxic material suitable for the animal species.
- Also include feeding and watering instructions in writing at the time of acceptance. Feeding and watering instructions must be affixed to the container and a copy of the instruction must accompany the shipping documents.
- Do not forget to provide some food for the animal, though it must be checked to ensure that it does not contravene any regulations of the country(ies) of transit or importation.
- To prepare your pet for take-off, we would advice that you ensure it has had a long walk before hand and the right food. Ideally, it should have its last meal 6-8 hours before take-off and only drink small amounts of water. Consult your vet for more information.
- Tranquilization is NOT advisable for animals being shipped by air as it can cause drop in blood pressure which can be fatal at the altitude of flight pressurization (8000ft). However, it can be allowed if the pet is accompanied by a Vet on board the aircraft. Please consult your vet.
Animal Holding Center
- Animals traveling on KQ or partner airlines via Nairobi with a transit time of more than 2hrs will be transferred to Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) animal holding to receive proper care. Transfer to this facility can only take place when copies of health certificates and all other documents are attached to the Air Waybill (AWB). This is a non-KQ operation and the customer will be charged separately for this service.
- Animals with less than 2 hours transit time will remain in the Baggage Transfer area and will be placed in a sheltered and aired environment before being loaded again.
- Animals on transit have a maximum stay-over period of 24 hours and this is limited to 1 night. A passenger is not allowed to visit his/her pet while it is at the Kenya Airports Authority animal holding centre.
- Most animals can be transported by air, however our only limitation is the size of the aircraft cargo hold door. This is what determines the maximum size of the animal’s container that we can accept. The size is different for wide-body aircraft and narrow body aircraft.
- KQ does not accept pets in the cabin, except for guide dogs. Passengers who have pets that they would like to travel with have to transport them as cargo through the cargo terminal, and not at the airport check-in desk.
- Different countries in our network have different restrictions for animals on transit and those being imported, for further information on these restrictions please contact your nearest KQ Cargo office.
* Conditions apply.
Please contact your local KQ Cargo office for further information.